Herald Seniors Sign Off 2017

Our graduating seniors from the class of 2017 say goodbye!

Josephine Moriarty

Next year I will be attending Boston University’s school of General Studies. I’ll begin studying next January in Boston and then study abroad in London for six weeks over the summer.

My advice for future Holyoke High students is to stay on top of your work and try to stay organized. It’s so easy to fall behind and make high school stressful, so just keep up with your work and you’ll be successful.

Ryan Costello

I am going to Fitchburg State University, and I am doing a four plus one criminal justice program.

I would tell future Holyoke High School students to stay active, stay involved, and work hard, play hard.

Jacques Courchesne

Next year I am attending UMASS Amherst and I am pursuing a degree in legal studies.

My advice for the future students of Holyoke High School is to do everything and have no regrets about anything. Seize the day.

Jack Moriarty

I will be going to boot camp for 7 months and then attending Westfield State for my business degree.

Do as much as you can while you can.

Cameron LaChapelle

My plans for next year are to attend the Fashion Institute of Technology in Manhattan.

The advice that I have for future students is to follow the beat of your own drum and always do your own thing. Don’t feel like you’re doing something wrong when you’re doing something different than what everybody else is doing. Be your own. 

Nick Elkins

Next year I will be in the United States Navy I leave for boot camp on July 11th, 2017.

For future students of Holyoke high I would give the advice of stay focused and don’t mess around freshman year it can really mess up your future years, also I would say don’t just have college in mind look into the military as well it is a very good path for life and it can put you in the right direction. Just stay focused don’t slack off and don’t try and be “cool” because you will look stupid in the end just do your work and get it done.

Yarijel Melendez

My plans for next year are to go to college. I will be attending Syracuse University and majoring in forensic science. I will be spending my first semester in Madrid, Spain before I return and settle in Syracuse, New York. I will be back by Christmas so I will be spending the holidays with my family. I’m very excited to see how it goes.

One piece of advice I have for the future students of HHS is to not worry about the small or mindless things. There are more important things than a boyfriend or a girlfriend. A failing grade in one test will not be the end of your high school career. A physical fight is not worth the problem. Your social media account followers do not dictate your popularity or value. Just enjoy your high school years and don’t spend too much time focused on things that won’t matter 5, 10, 20 years from now or you will miss out on some great times and adventures.

Nicole Lussier

I will be attending Smith College and plan on taking classes in history and environmental science to decide what I want to major in.

Always stay true to who you are and who you want to be. Set goals for yourself, follow your dreams, and work for it because I promise it is achievable! There is no better feeling than having a goal and accomplishing it. Also make sure to put yourself out there in high school because I’ve made some of best friends and best memories throughout the past four years and couldn’t have done it if I didn’t allow myself to try new things, it is 100% worth it.

Manon Nadeau

Next year I will be attending Saint Anselm Honors College outside of Manchester, New Hampshire. Currently, I plan on studying either Secondary English Ed or Communications.  As sad as I am to bid Holyoke goodbye, I am ready.

To any underclassmen, my advice is to be yourself.  Don’t feel like you need to fit within the bounds of normality in this city, if you have dreams, reach for them. Let your true colors show, and don’t be afraid to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Breaking down your own walls is sometimes the key to learning more about yourself, and finding your prime capacity, I certainly found that to be true with myself these last 4 years. You’re not always going to be like everyone else, and that is okay and it is great.

Sara Morin

I will be attending UMass Amherst in the fall to study Civil Engineering.

Push yourself as hard as you can in everything you do- whether it’s academics, athletics, talents, etc., because excelling in what you do now is only going to pave the way to a brighter future.  In the blink of an eye, you’ll be standing on that same stage that we [the class of 2017] will be walking across soon and you’ll look back on your four years of high school. Don’t let there be any regrets. 

Catherine Pater

After HHS I plan to go to S.T.C.C. to pursue degrees in mechanical and electrical engineering. After completing my two year programs I plan on transferring to UMass to get masters degrees.

BEWARE SENIORITIS! Slacking off at the end of the year is easy to do but will destroy your grade. Put in the extra effort and finish strong.

Julia Swinehart

For the next four years I will be at Mount Holyoke studying biochemistry and preparing for medical school. I also plan to continue swimming for the Lyons and I hope to continue doing photography.

Dear future Knights,

I can’t even begin to tell you how fast the next four years of your life will go by. It really does feel like just yesterday I was walking into the wrong classrooms and going up the “down” stairs. As I finish up my last few finals and get ready for graduation, my biggest piece of advice to you is: work hard but enjoy the experience. Don’t slack off please! It’s so important to get good grades and learn the material that teachers give you, and I promise they aren’t just trying to torture you. Go to those Friday night football games with your friends, and join into the fan section and try to be loud like we were. Join in a few clubs, maybe try the musical or a sports team. Appreciate the great teachers, and don’t be too hard on the bad ones. And I cannot stress this enough: before you know it you’ll be done with high school.