A New Thanksgiving Match Up Raises Pep Rally Concerns

With Holyoke High’s Thanksgiving match up changing to South Hadley High, students are wondering what the annual pep rally will hold.

After 100 games, Holyoke High School and Chicopee High School will go their seperate ways. This Thanksgiving, HHS football will travel across the bridge and begin a new era playing against South Hadley High on Thanksgiving Day, while Chicopee High School will match up against their hometown rival: Chicopee Comp.

But only one question remains: will pep rally be the same? Mocking Chicopee has become a time honored Holyoke High tradition – can it really be the same with South Hadley as the target?

“It’s going to be a bit weird when doing the skit not making fun of the Chicopee cheerleaders because that’s been tradition,” said Perryne Vega, class of 2018 vice president. “It will be sad that we aren’t playing Chicopee but I know for sure they will still be included in the skit somehow – tradition does not die just like that!”

As some may not know, Herald adviser and Video Production teacher Mr. Langlois attended and graduated from Holyoke High School and experienced Pep Rally from his own perspective. When asked what he is most looking forward to at this year’s pep rally, Mr. Langlois responded how you would hope any young teacher would respond: with excitement and school spirit.

“Every year, the thing that I look forward to the most is the senior skit. I think that it’s a really great tradition, and it’s hilarious to see what students come up with,” said Mr. Langlois. “It’s interesting for me, personally, because I was in my senior skit when I was a student here. I remember having a lot of fun during the planning process. It always comes together without fail.”

One thing that’s certain is that all questions will be answered at this year’s highly anticipated Pep Rally. Make sure to support your knights and cross the bridge this Thanksgiving for the Knights and Tigers’ match up at South Hadley High!