Westover Celebrates Its 75th Year!

On Saturday, October 4, Westover Air Force Base celebrated its 75th anniversary with a bash on the base.

Photo By: Ashley Morsen

Ashley Morsen, Editor in Chief

Westover Air Reserve is an Air Force Reserve Command installation located in Massachusetts that is only about twenty-five minutes away from our city of Holyoke and is credited with being the nation’s largest Air Force Reserve base. The history of the base began with plans that were made as a result of the Nazi-Germany invasion of Poland in October of 1939. The air base’s construction went on its way after president at the time, Franklin D. Roosevelt, signed a $750,000 project bill known as the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in November of 1939. Westover became a bomber and fighter crew training base throughout World War II.

This year, Westover celebrates its 75th year of existence. Not only has Westover played an important role in history throughout the years, but locally the base is among the biggest employers in the Springfield area that produces an estimated $231 million in economic activity. In honor of Westover’s 75th year, an anniversary ball took place in the Base Hangar of the air base. The ball was a dinner event rich in military tradition that was open to service men and women and their spouses. The ball was catered by The Log Rolling catering company (from The Log Cabin Banquet and Meeting House) and was a marvelous time.

The immensely large crowd of over 750 people started spurring through the doors at promptly 6:00 in the evening this Saturday, October 4th, 2014. A social hour of passed d’oeuvres was accompanied by 3 set up bars, and a spot for professional photo taking where couples could show off their very formal and exclusive attire.

The table set and ready to go by Log Rolling Catering! Photo By: Ashley Morsen
The table set and ready to go by Log Rolling Catering!
Photo By: Ashley Morsen

Following dinner were a couple of speeches and the cutting of the cake, which was vanilla with a layer of strawberry filling. A performance of Springfield Central High School Eagles’ Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) grabbed the attention of the crowd with their sharp and quick motions. After the Eagles were a group of 6 boys that each carried a gun and used their weapons to create a very entertaining show: spinning the guns, throwing them in the air, catching them from behind, and tossing them to each other. The group put on a jaw-dropping show and the crowd roared with excitement.

Photo By: Ashley Morsen
Photo By: Ashley Morsen

Everyone at the ball was full of smiles and the building had a very appreciative feel; the crowd was appreciative of those who serve, the families, the performers, and everyone who made the event possible. Guests took home custom wine glasses as favors and there were “Hershey Kisses” for all.

In addition to the ball that went exceptionally well on Saturday evening, the 2015 Air Show will be honoring the anniversary. Keep a look out for The Air Show that will take place May 16 – 17, 2015!