Holyoke Teachers Take on HHS Knights in a Faculty vs Student Soccer Game

On Wednesday, November 5, Holyoke High’s boys and girls soccer team faced off in the ultimate showdown with Holyoke Public School teachers!

Holyoke+Teachers+Take+on+HHS+Knights+in+a+Faculty+vs+Student+Soccer+Game+

Sara Morin, Staff Reporter '17

The teachers at Holyoke Public schools are the leaders in the classroom, but the high school students certainly took charge at Roberts field on November 5th during the Faculty vs Student soccer game.

Pairs of two teachers (each pair from different Holyoke school) faced our very own soccer teams on Wednesday at 4:00 PM. The co-ed game included both the girls and boys junior varsity and varsity teams. The match gave the teachers a chance to see the students show their gifts on the field and even to bring some back to their “glory days”. “The teachers have the main role in the classroom and now we can show them our leadership on the field,” said Chandler Lalchandani ‘17.

“This game brought the teachers and students together for an opportunity to have fun and bond as a community.” said Callie Cavanaugh ’17..

soccer2
Some of the HPS staff prepare to take on the teenagers.

While the game was started off with a smooth pass and a headed ball by HHS Principal Stephen Sullivan, the strong lead didn’t last very long when Manny Villa scored the Knights’ first goal within a few minutes. The staff continued to apply the pressure and intensity, but that didn’t stop Zoey Moynihan from slipping one in the net right before halftime.

Although the teachers came out hard in the second thirty-minute half, it just wasn’t enough to suppress the ferocity of the Knights as they brought the game to a close with a final score of 6-0 with goals scored by Rachel Dearman (2), Juan Rodriguez-Guiterrez, and Gabriel Rodriguez. Kellen Matthews, goalie for the teacher’s team, made many remarkable saves which kept the fans on the edge of their seats throughout the game.

“It was a lot of fun to play the students I get to coach in the indoor and outdoor track seasons. It was also a good way to boost student and teacher relationships in a positive way!” said Jackie Motyl, teacher at Donahue School and coach for Holyoke High field hockey and sprinting team. A good time was had by all the competitors and by the spectators in the stands as everyone relaxed and had a night of fun.

Click here for our complete photo gallery from this event!