• There will be a STEM info session/open house on Feb.11 from 4-5pm at Holyoke High South Campus!

• Goodluck to all HHS students on their midterms this week!

• Come join environmental club, Mondays Rm.302 after school!

• The Robotics Club is seeking new members! See Mr.Belanger for more information!

Reviews of Popular Christmas Songs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Reviews of Popular Christmas Songs

Aztiney Caudle, Staff Reporter

It’s that time of year when everyone gets into the holiday spirit and when everyone wants to be with their families and the people they love. It’s a time where people want to blast Christmas music on their T.Vs or radio and dance along to the music. Christmas music helps many people (including myself) adopt a “festive spirit” and get into the Christmas spirit. Currently, the topmost Christmas songs are “The Christmas Song” by Nat King Cole, “All I Want for Christmas Is You” by Mariah Carey, “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” by Bruce Springsteen, “Last Christmas” by Wham and many more.

“The Christmas Song” is a song that was written during a hot summer day in an effort to stay cool by thinking cool. My reaction to the song: the first time I listened to it, I thought that it was good. It was a nice relaxing song that made me want to curl up next to a fireplace. I give this song a 4 because the song isn’t bad and has to do with Christmas. The lyrics are really nice. It gives you that Christmas vibe and a visual thought on Christmas day.

“All I Want For Christmas Is You” explains that Mariah Carey does not want Christmas decorations or gifts from Santa Claus. Instead, all she wants for Christmas is her lover. I give “All I want for Christmas” 5 stars because it’s a catchy song that makes you want to get up and dance to it. This song focuses on one thing that doesn’t really have to do with Christmas. Instead, it’s about getting to be with a specific person.

“Santa Claus is coming to town” is about how Santa’s watching if you’re naughty or nice. It’s about him coming to town to deliver presents if you were good, or coal if you were naughty. This is a song that makes kids want to be on the nice list so Santa can gift them presents rather than coal, it also encourages listeners to help the less fortunate on Christmas. I give this song 4 stars because yes it is catchy and all, but it doesn’t really make you get up and want to dance to the beat. It makes you want to sing it out loud rather than dance.

“Last Christmas” doesn’t have to do with Christmas all that much. It’s more about a relationship that failed, and coming face to face with them a year later. This song is for when your down in the  dumps and want to listen to a song you can relate to. I give this song 3 stars because it’s a good song but I personally have never really got into it. The reason why it’s bad (well, not all that bad) is because it’s more about relationships that didn’t work out and not about relationships that do work out. It’s not something you want to listen to while being with your significant other.

These songs were the top most best Christmas songs. Especially “All I want for Christmas is You” because Christmas music isn’t a bad type of genre. You can listen to it with your kids or family and it’ll make you fall into a good Christmassy mood. It’s the best to listen to it on Christmas day when you’re opening up the presents, when your decorating the tree, or just enjoying during the December month.