• There will be a STEM info session/open house on Feb.11 from 4-5pm at Holyoke High South Campus!

• Goodluck to all HHS students on their midterms next week!

• Come join environmental club, Mondays Rm.302 after school!

• The Robotics Club is seeking new members! See Mr.Belanger for more information!

2019 Colleen Finalists Announced

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Colleen Finalists Announced

On Saturday, January 5th, Holyoke introduced five proud Irish women as the 2019, 65th annual Grand Colleen finalists. Fifteen women from both Holyoke and South Hadley competed and were escorted out on to the stage by Holyoke firefighters. Of the fifteen contestants, six were selected for recognition: Miss Congeniality Siobhan Brennan, and Grand Colleen Finalists Caroline Sullivan, Lauren Dulude, Summer Kaeppel, Brianna Minie, and Meghan Goshea.

Miss Congeniality, Siobhan Brennan, of Holyoke, is a graduate of Holyoke High School and currently a student at Utica College. Brennan is a Herald alumna and a member of the National Honor Society back in high school. In the future, she would like to graduate from Utica College with a degree in Psychology and attend graduate school to become a child life specialist.

Finalist, Caroline Sullivan, of South Hadley is a graduate of Northfield Mount Hermon and is currently attending Trinity College. While in high school, she broke her school’s twenty-two year old track record two years in a row. She is the Vice President of Kappa Kappa Gamma,  a student admissions associate, and a head tour guide at Trinity. In the future, she plans to graduate in May with a Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Studies and focus on sustainable development, minoring in writing/rhetoric and media arts studies.

Finalist, Lauren Dulude, of Holyoke is a graduate of Holyoke Catholic High School and is currently a student at Boston University. In service to her community, she went to Africa on a mission trip, is a Boston Children’s Hospital volunteer, and a homework house tutor. In the future, she plans to graduate in May with her Master’s Degree in child life and family centered care as she hopes to get a job as a child life specialist in one of Boston’s pediatric hospitals.

Finalist, Summer Kaeppel, of Holyoke is a graduate of Holyoke High School and is currently a student at the University of Massachusetts: Amherst. While in high school, she was the public relations manager for the Herald and was a member of the National Honor Society. In college, she is a marketing intern with New England Public Radio, and she is a writer for the Amherst Wire. In her community, she has hosted and produced podcasts with the Valley Voice. In her future, she plans to pursue a career in public relations.

Finalist, Brianna Minie, of South Hadley is a graduate of South Hadley High School and currently a student at the College of Our Lady of the Elms. While in high school, she was the Vice President of her class, the Vice President of the best buddies program,  and a member of the National Honor Society. In college, she is on the Dean’s list, in the student nurses association, and she is a Baystate Medical Center Volunteer. In the future, she plans on graduating from the Elms with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in hopes of becoming a registered nurse. She would eventually like to get her Master’s Degree to become an advanced practice nurse.

Finalist, Meghan Goshea, of Holyoke is a graduate of Holyoke High School and is currently a student at Springfield Technical Community College. While in high school, she was a madrigal choir leader, field hockey captain, and the class singer. In college, she is on the Dean’s list and received an honorable mention for her jazz performance. In the future, she plans to be a dental hygienist and teach private voice lessons.

The five finalists were filled with excitement and will be given Irish themed gifts and gift cards to businesses in Holyoke.

“The Colleen contest is something so nice and unique to Holyoke,” says finalist and Herald alumna Summer Kaeppel, “ I’ve always wanted to be part of such a longstanding tradition that represents so much!”

The excitement hasn’t ended yet. The Grand Colleen will be chosen on February 16th, at the Coronation Ball at the Log Cabin. The five finalists and Miss Congeniality have an adventurous green season ahead of them!