• HHS' 1st Knight Life Dance will be held on 04/05 at the North Campus Caf! Tickets are $5 and are sold at the door!

• On Sat. 04/06 head over to Chipotle for dinner to support Mr.Baldwin's science classes who are going on a whale watch soon!

• Come join environmental club, Mondays Rm.302 after school!

• The Robotics Club is seeking new members! See Mr.Belanger for more information!

The Holyoke High Throwers

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Holyoke High Throwers

Photo courtesy of Grynn & Barrett.

Photo courtesy of Grynn & Barrett.

Photo courtesy of Grynn & Barrett.

Photo courtesy of Grynn & Barrett.

In the 2018-2019 Indoor Track Season, the Holyoke High shot putters definitely left their mark on Western Mass and the state. With a second place throw by Tyler Guertin, and an eighth place throw by Ian Beauregard, at the PVIAC championships, the team was certainly the most formidable in the area. Finn Lubold, Guertin, and Beauregard also each managed to qualify for the state meet: a difficult task among the rest of the throwers in the state. At the division 2 state meet, Guertin took a medal for sixth place and threw against the top shot putter in the nation, Aidan Felty, who took first. A combination of Beauregard, Guertin, and Lubold took second place at the state relays with a 123’ throw, a momentous and historic achievement for Holyoke High School. They also managed to get the shot put relay record for the high school.

Their accolades are a result of the hard work the five man team puts in on and off the shot put circle. Throwers Ian Beauregard, Ethan Dejesus, Tyler Guertin, Finn Lubold, and Riley Shea work together to throw their best, lifting and working out to improve their throws. The team consists of four seniors and one sophomore, (Riley Shea). The hard working yet cheerful attitude of the team is admirable and is certainly why they have quite literally gone great lengths this indoor track season. Their skill is also admirable, as Holyoke High has never had any sort of shot put team of this caliber, and their skill is an amazing and welcome addition to the track team.

Although, the team likely couldn’t have done it without their coach David Drigo, a new addition to the track team this year. A current student at Westfield State, and an All American in the javelin, Drigo has a lot to bring to the team, and has brought them up through the ranks in one year. Although three of the five throwers joined this year, they managed to blow up over the span of a few months, and their skill is acknowledged throughout the region. “They used to use cannons to throw these things, then they found us,” says Tyler Guertin, and he is certainly right. They do a pretty good job of throwing them too.

With the outdoor track season ahead, the throwers have a few more months to improve their throws and continue to rise through the ranks. Although they have lost Finn Lubold and Ethan Dejesus, there’s sure to be a lot more in store for the team in this next season.