Fundraising and Prom

Fundraising and Prom

Olivia Mazza, Herald Writer

Here at Holyoke High we are underfunded, we are lacking funds for certain events such as prom.

If you are a senior such as myself you may be wondering “I wonder, when is prom, in fact, might I even dare think this thought! How much money do we seniors need to raise for prom? ” These thoughts were clearly not mine, anyways, I did a little research as I do on a weekly basis for this is my beautifully well-written newspaper article and found out that even just renting the Log Cabin the beautiful place we reside for prom occasionally, if you didn’t know, could be about $3,000. This wouldn’t be covering catering and arrangements for set up, DJ, and much more.

Now as we are all reminded on a day to day basis that we are in fact, a public school and because of this travesty (I guess) we don’t have a sugar benefactor giving us that sweet cold hard cash that we so desperately need – instead we do the next best thing: striping away our students’ quarters in order to gain money.   AKA, we do fundraising.
Mayhaps we could make hot chocolate but not too hot because let’s face it.   Someone will definitely get angry and throw it at someone or we will have the scandal that Mcdonald’s had (https://www.ttla.com/index.cfm?pg=mcdonaldscoffeecasefacts)

Now this should be a big deal because we haven’t had a prom in two years because of a mysterious cold that we shall not mention because I’m sure we already know. Everyone is stressing, in fact we don’t receive much info from the student council unless you are part of the student council. Now that the winter months are upon us and we are tired, cold seniors in the harsh climate that is New England, how will we manage to be proactive in these trying times of being as broke as ramen-eating college students?

Maybe we could sell bottled water since all of us are constantly dehydrated from the child sized water they give out during lunch.  There are a plethora of ways we can raise money for prom but will we even have the time?  And is there any way we can support the school in fundraising money? I guess we’ll see in time.