The Cafeteria Microwave

The Cafeteria Microwave

Olivia Mazza, Herald Writer

Have you ever eaten ramen? Of course you have, who has not – its declared the universal broke college kid food. Now where am I going with this? Well, school provides lunch to students for free and of course we have vending machines, but what if we want to bring our food from home to reheat? 

This was a situation that happened with a friend of mine yesterday. We had lunch with a cup of ramen. We had never used the microwaves in school so this was a new experience. Lunch is typically 25 minutes so we would have enough time to enjoy this cup. 

We had gotten our water and our forks and were ready to heat up our food when we were greeted with a microwave without a plate and yellow and orange food smudged lining the walls and the flooring of the microwave. I sadly looked at this microwave and attempted to cook my ramen cup in it. It slid against the yellow floor and almost fell over due to there being a lack of a plate. 

Then there was a microwave with a plate. But it was more covered than the prior microwave. We set our cup in for 4 minutes. It barely did anything. In fact the ramen was still a brick. There was one other person waiting for the microwave so we took turns. By the time we were done we only had 5 minutes left of our 22 minute lunch and I didn’t have time to finish my food. 

Might I say I was heartbroken. You know what is more heartbreaking the fact that there is no plate for a microwave.

Mind you the heat power of these bad boys is lacking severely. It can barely heat up anything.

I looked up the pricing for a sponge to clean the microwave and some soap since this is critical research and in total the max of some dish soap from Walmart and a sponge from Walmart will total to a whopping.. $5 dollars. Insane, I know.

When will the microwave be clean? Or swapped out to a more powerful one? Will we ever truly know?