A Look into the Boy’s Basketball Senior Knight

Samantha Brennan, Herald Writer

The Varsity Holyoke High School boys basketball team honored their Seniors on February 15 in an annual Home Game Senior “Knight.” With seven senior athletes, there was much to celebrate. The game was won in overtime, 83-79, over Springfield High School of Science and Technology.  The athletes honored were Moises Silva, Lordi Smith, Patrick Gubala, Jaimiel Rivera, Jael Cabrera, Adrix Madera and Nicholas Consedine. 

Senior Jael Cabrera, a selection of both basketball and football Super Seven, played in his senior Knight that evening. Jael will be continuing his education and football/athletic career at Sussex Jr. College in New Jersey. Jael has been a key player for the Knights playing guard. He has scored 390 points this season, 40 of those being three point court shots. Masslive’s Super Seven article states about Cabrera, “Cabrera doesn’t shy away from contact while driving to the rim and is a solid outside shooter. His energy on the perimeter makes him a great defender and consistently turns steals into easy points in transition. The senior scored 28 points in a season-opening win against Springfield International Charter School on Dec. 9. Cabrera was also a football Super 7 selection heading into last fall.”

Senior Patrick Gubala is a dual athlete playing soccer and basketball. Gubala is a guard and has been responsible for 67 points for the Knights this season. His teammate Adrix Madera, a basketball and football athlete, is a guard on the team as well, putting up 35 points. Senior Nicholas Consedine, a three sport athlete of baseball, golf and basketball has scored 41 points this season. Jaimiel Rivera has contributed 57 points this season. Moises Silva has given a solid 86 points to the team. Last but not least, senior Lordi Smith, a football and basketball athlete, has scored 64 points this season.

Almost a month later, The Purple Knights’ record is currently 16 wins and 6 losses. The Knights have made it to the Elite Eight in the MIAA Division 2 State Tournament. They will face off again on Friday March 11, 2022 at Burlington High School. Tip off is scheduled for 6:30PM. Holyoke High will be conducting a fan bus to create a large fan section. Congratulations to the Seniors on the Holyoke Boys Basketball Team!