HHS 2022-23 Fall Sports Season Begins

Samantha Brennan, Herald Writer

The school year has started and that means it is fall sports season. Student athletes at the school began playing this week. On Labor Day, Roberts Field was teeming with activity. All teams had early morning practices to prepare for the week. Early in the week it was rainy, causing cancellations, but after Tuesday, the weather cooperated and allowed for some great matches to take place. 

Volleyball was the only team to prevail through the weather on Tuesday. They played Sci-Tech, losing 3-1. On Thursday, Volleyball played again and beat Mt. Everett 3-1. The energy inside the large gym on Thursday was palpable. The stands were crowded, and everyone was rooting for the Lady Knights.

On Wednesday, boys soccer lost to Chicopee Comp, 5-1. At the same time, boys and girls cross country raced at Ashley Reservoir, and the girls took home a win over Sci- Tech. 

Then on Thursday, we saw the home opener for field hockey, a 3-1 loss to Franklin County Tech. Additionally, girls soccer fell 3-2 to Deerfield. 

Finally, it was Friday and boys soccer had a 4pm match against Central in which they lost 8-1. Later in the evening, Varsity Football played at Putnam, winning by a score of 35-0. 

This past week was only the beginning for our Purple Knights!

As we look ahead to next week, don’t forget to follow @HolyokeHeraldSports on Instagram for all of the athletic updates so you can stay engaged. We have planned a student section theme of ‘Neon Knight’ for this Friday, September 12, 2022 at the home opener for Varsity Football. 

Make sure to be there and support! 

Week two lineup:

Monday, September 12: 

Girls soccer vs Easthampton 6PM 

JV & Varsity Volleyball vs Putnam 4PM 5PM

Tuesday, September 13:

Boys Soccer vs Hampshire 4PM 

Girls and Boys Cross Country @ East Long-meadow 4PM 

Wednesday, September 14:

Field Hockey vs Hampshire 4PM 

Girls Soccer @ Renaissance 4PM 

JV & Varsity Volleyball vs Central 4PM, 5PM 

Thursday, September 15:

Boys Soccer vs Monson 6PM

JV & Varsity Volleyball vs Taconic 4:30PM, 5:30PM 

Friday, September 16:

Field hockey @ Belchertown 4PM

Girls Soccer vs SICS 4PM

Football vs Agawam 7PM

#GoKnights

https://www.canva.com/design/DAFL9nhTFok/HR496bPrQKovW3Esua6Efg/view?utm_content=DAFL9nhTFok&utm_campaign=share_your_design&utm_medium=link&utm_source=shareyourdesignpanel