HHS Band Performs at Puerto Rican Parade in Springfield

Savannah Donnelly, Herald Staff

Holyoke High isn’t just known for their sports. Let’s appreciate our Holyoke Knights Band.

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage month, locals celebrated the Puerto Rican parade in Springfield, Massachusetts on September 18th. Most of which occurred down Main Street.

The Knights band proudly played “Que Bonita Bandera”, “Juju on that Beat”,”Astronomia”, “Street beat”, “Number 10”, “Jump on it” and “Let’s go Knights.” Our Holyoke Knights were chanting “coco,coco coco,coco-vejigante come coco” while wearing the vejigante masks used during carnivals all over Puerto Rico.

El Orgullo Hispano is something that is contagious and brings people from different backgrounds together. Participants celebrated by dancing, holding the Puerto Rican flag or yelling a couple “Wepas” here and there. 

Aiden Pares, a sophomore band member, remembers being happy to participate in this parade with the band. He felt very connected with his culture, “It was an all around great atmosphere to be in” stated Aiden. Yadiel Nieves, also a sophomore band member, displayed his talents on the glockenspiel with his solo at the beginning of juju on that beat. 

That’s not all for our Holyoke High band. The Knights also marched in the Big E parade on September 20th, at 6:00pm in celebration of Holyoke Day.

Holyoke High Seniors Joseph and Andrew showed off their skills on quad-drum and snare-drum during improvising. These two didn’t just show off their talents on their instruments – they also demonstrated leadership.

Our Holyoke Knights got amazing feedback from the crowd, hearing loud cheers of “Go Holyoke.” Younger children also mimicked our drummers and the trumpets. And although Holyoke was the smallest group of musicians there, they performed just as loud as the other bands. 

Overall, young musicians had an enjoyable time at the event, creating a safe and fun environment in which they didn’t feel that playing an instrument was a chore. Holyoke High School band teacher Cassi Stewart does an amazing job making everyone feel welcome in her class, which translates to the parade atmosphere. 

Finally, please support our Holyoke Knights on Friday, September 30th at the Holyoke High football game!

!!GO KNIGHTS!!