Holyoke Media Opening New Space in October 2022 & HHS Field Trip

Patrick Sweeney, Editor-in-Chief

Holyoke Media has been an integral part of the downtown Holyoke scene since its inception in 2002 as a “Public Access Corporation.” In a city that does not have many local news outlets, Holyoke Media has stood out. The company promotes journalistic endeavors and has a large video production training facility in its main building. 

The organization is focused on delivering high-quality journalism to the Holyoke area through various channels. However, their most impactful mode is the news that they deliver to households across the city. The Holyoke Media website states that they “cover community news and events” and “make government meetings accessible to all.” 

In addition to this, Holyoke Media is looking for volunteers that can make a difference in the local community. Those interested are able to submit a form on holyokemedia.org with their first and last name, email address and a short description of the services they can provide. 

The company has been centrally located at 1 Court Plaza for many years. Since then, they have toyed with the idea of expanding their space to serve more members of the community. After years of planning and setbacks due to the pandemic, Holyoke Media recently announced plans to open a new studio location, which should be open to the public later this month.

The new location is set to open on Suffolk Street during the month of October. It is sure to be a major upgrade for Holyoke Media and give them more room to continue positively aiding the city. MassLive reported in early July about the news, citing the fact that the new location will feature a “state-of-the-art media center and soundstage.”  

In his MassLive interview, executive director Scott McPherson stated that the new building was the former home of “Gleason’s Townhouse and the Holyoke Office of Planning and Economic Development.”

The effects of Holyoke Media’s grand opening on Suffolk Street are being felt at Holyoke High School North Campus. Bevan Brunelle, the Academy Team Lead for the Performing and Media Arts Academy, was “excited” about the news, saying that the organization will “make learning how to create media-based projects with professional equipment accessible to everyone in Holyoke.” 

Brunelle compared Holyoke Media “to a science lab” since “students will be able to experiment with their creativity while using the same tools the pros use.” She also referenced a “free account” program offered by Holyoke Media, which “gives [students] access to free equipment training and the ability to borrow equipment for their own creative endeavors.” Those interested in the program should click here.

Ms. Brunelle is planning on taking a group of PMA students from grades 10 through 12 on a field trip later this month. This will take place on October 28th, 2022. She referred to the field trip as a “perfect PMA trip, saying that it “mixes theater with media.” Those going on the trip will have the opportunity to interact with “Pregones Theater Company of New York” as well as taking a tour of the new location. Brunelle is also very excited about the trip, saying that she will “feel like a kid in a candy store.”

To read the full-length interview with Ms. Brunelle, click here.