Jobs Can Impact A Life In Many Ways

Ally Dumoulin, Herald Staff

During high school, many students spend time stressing over assignments, deadlines, responsibilities, and adapting to new environments that can benefit them and their future. Additionally, they feel as though they need to meet academic standards. School stress can affect a student mentally, especially when they are trying to grow to become an adult. As people grow older, they learn to take responsibility for aspects of their lives. The constant state of stress has changed the norm for many working adults. Stress has been taking an emotional and physical toll on everyone, especially in the job industry. 

Stress grows when we are more involved. It takes control of our lives on a daily basis. We take on many responsibilities, including finishing high school, starting college, keeping up with sports and clubs, working to get our license, getting a job, buying a car, paying bills and being on time. When having a job, you need to be committed and push yourself to do better every day. 

Adults work over eight hours a day, causing large amounts of stress and frustration. Dealing with outside stress can cause people to make mistakes in the workplace, which leads to many negative consequences.

A high school Junior, Katrina worked every single day in the summer, over 50 hours a week, and made work her number one priority. Katrina worked every single day because she wanted to buy her dream car and brighten the days of customers. She always had a smile on her face and even helped the customers carry their orders to their car. One weekend at work, Katrina made a customer’s food order through the drive thru exactly how she required. The customer had a special request that Katrina completed. 

The customer came back through the drive thru, saying the order was completely incorrect. Additionally, the driver asked for a refund, which was given, and ended up getting increasingly angry due to the situation. She would not stop screaming at Katrina, who was trying to calm her down and ask what else she could do to better the situation. 

Shortly after, Katrina then started screaming for everyone in the lobby to call the police. Though at this point, she began making the orders incorrectly since she was so confused, dizzy and foggy. 

Later, Katrina went back to school and lost control of everything. She could not focus, process, or remember anything. She forgot her words and how to do school work. Her symptoms only got worse as bright lights, screens and noise were very painful. This event completely changed Katrina as a person and could barely finish her junior year of high school. 

What was helpful was that Katrina went to physical therapy and doctor appointments multiple times a week, which has greatly progressed her mental state since the incident. 

As of now,  Katrina wants to find a new job and do better for herself. She strives to do good in life, both inside and outside of school. Katrina deserves a lot of credit for what she has been through at her job. She also stated that she is currently looking at colleges and trying to boost her high school GPA. Though most importantly, Katrina dreams of studying Criminal Justice to become a lawyer or police officer.

Through it all she has been very open about her struggles, saying, in part, “I would never wish this upon anyone, this is disgusting and something that needs to be taken seriously. I REFUSE to watch another young girl go through what I did.” 

From here, It’s notable that jobs can make a large difference in who you are and what you would like to achieve in life. That impact can make you strive for more than you wanted previously. The pressure of school, driving, a job, bills, and becoming successful are all very stressful parts of life. 

Many adolescents experience external stressors that affect how they navigate their lives. Whether it be in or outside of school, work, relationships, or family there is ultimately a lesson to be learned. All of these factors, regardless of the struggles, serve to help you grow in a multitude of ways. Yet having a support system nearby is crucial and necessary.  

If you are ever overwhelmed or need immediate support, feel free to reach out to the River Valley Counseling Center, Inc. Holyoke, MA at (413) 540-1234 or a hotline for mental health at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264).