Field Hockey Season Recap

Maura Dulude, Herald Writer

Fall sports are coming to an end. Therefore, it is time to take a look back to the 2022-23 field hockey season. This year was full of many great memories, wins, losses, and achievements for the team. With 6 wins, and 8 losses, they worked hard to improve everyday. Last year (2021-2022), the team finished the season with 7 wins, and 8 losses. 

Senior Samantha Brennan has been playing field hockey for Holyoke for 6 years, and 10 total. Samantha was the first middle schooler to play on the varsity squad during its 2017-2018 season. Six years later, Samantha is ending her Holyoke High School Field Hockey career. She is extremely excited because she hit the 50 point mark this season. Off the field, Samantha is the Class of 2023 treasurer, Sports Editor of the Holyoke High Herald, on the school committee as HHS’s student representative and part of National Honor Society and the Madrigal Choir. 

Looking back on all the great times, Samantha recalls her fondest memory being any and every time her team played Palmer. Looking forward, Samantha’s future plans are to study broadcasting in hopes to become a TV news anchor.

Our next senior, Emma Dominguez, has been playing field hockey for two years. She is a part of the Madrigal Choir. Looking back on all the great times, Emma recalls her fondest memory being the annual scavenger hunt practices with the team, especially her team that won last year. Looking forward, she plans on going to college and majoring in political science to further her educational career in law. 

Our last senior, Isabella Murphy, played goalie for the field hockey team. Isabella has been playing field hockey for 6 years, 4 being for Holyoke High School. Off the field, Isabella is involved in Student Government, the National Honor Society, the Madrigal Choir, the Advanced Art Club and is on the Varsity Softball team. Looking back on all the wonderful times, Isabella recalls her fondest memory being when she fell on a girl from the other team and neither of them could get up. Looking forward, Isabella’s future plans are to attend an out of state institution primarily recognized for its visual arts. 

Senior Night took place on October 24th against Hampshire Regional. The Holyoke Field Hockey team featured posters of the seniors. Holyoke and Hamshpire tied 1-1. The team introduced their Seniors, and said their goodbye speeches. The team all agrees that it was a great season. Although there were mixed emotions due to graduating seniors, there was a bittersweet end.