Winter Sports begin at Holyoke High School

Maura Dulude, Herald Staff

The winter sports season is back at Holyoke High for the 2022-2023 season. Sports offered are Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Swimming, Coed Indoor Track, Wrestling, and Cheerleading. The season started on November 28th and will continue through January. 

Basketball hosted the first game of the season on Thursday, December 8th. Holyoke faced off against Palmer. JV girls fell by a score of 30-19, with varsity girls also dropping their season opener, 64-63. 

On the other hand, the JV boys won by a score of 55-52. Varsity boys lost 60-49 against Pope Francis. At Holyoke High, basketball is a popular sport, and many students try out for the team, which finished with an overall record of 16-7 last year.

Girls swim had an outstanding, close to perfect record last year, ending the season with 9 wins and 1 loss. Swim had their first meet on December 9th, located in the HHS Natatorium. They raced against The Renaissance School.  The support that comes from the team and the dedication they possess for each other and the sport itself enriches the life of the students at Holyoke High School.

Boys and girls wrestling started the season with a match against Algonquin. It was held on December 10th and fought hard. Last year, Holyoke senior Richie Rodriguez stated, “We know when life throws stuff on us, they can’t give up so if we’re on the mat, we’re not gonna give up. That’s why we put our hearts all on the mat.” The Knights put the “Holyoke” in Holyoke wrestling, and crafted a culture that breeds success on and off the mat. 

Indoor track began their season racing at Wheaton College on December 11th. Members of the track team enjoy working together and collaborating. Additionally, they are all very supportive of one another. Junior Elijah Quinn placed 3rd in the 1 mile. The new Holyoke High Track Instagram features some great action shots of the team as well. 

New athletes tried new events, such as Siobhan Armstrong competing for the long jump. She claims that although it wasn’t her best performance, it was successful as she placed ninth. She then made her first attempt at the 300 and acknowledged that it was harder. Despite her feelings towards the event, she placed 4th.

Holyoke has great expectations for the upcoming winter sports season. Students show their school spirit by rallying and participating at games. Holyoke High advertises daily sporting events during morning announcements run by Mr. Todd and seniors Samantha Brennan, Patrick Sweeney, Willie Lopez, and Gissel Santos Ruiz. You can also find information on Instagram @holyokeheraldsports.