Holyoke High Swim Team Updates

Savannah Donnelly, Herald Staff

The Holyoke High Swim Team had a meet at Ludlow High School on Thursday, December 22 at 4:00PM. Last year, Holyoke suffered a tight loss against Ludlow, losing 90-78. Because of this, both athletes and fans are expecting it to be a very exciting meet. 

The main question surrounding the meet is whether the Knights will be ready for the competition, despite having back to back meets with only two practices this week. Holyoke High swimmer April Garcia Brito believes the team’s busy week will not affect their performance. 

The swim team won their last two meets against Renaissance and Sci Tech. Additionally, they beat Turners Falls on December 21st, leaving them undefeated for the season. The boys team also won their first meet on December 21st.

On the 21st,  the Knights displayed great sportsmanship during their 42-39 victory over Turners Falls. Players cheered on teammates from both teams. And Molly O’Donnell, another member of the swim team, believes that “it is not just the points that you get…but the good sportsmanship…as well.”

Additionally, some swimmers qualified for Western Mass. Eva Bartosz and Gracie Leverault qualified in the 400 relay and Brady Pete and Austin Smith qualified in the boys 400 relay as well as Laura and Brady Pijar.  

On the 22nd, the Knights displayed great determination and perseverance once again during the meet. The girls’ undefeated record came to an end. However, the boys sealed their second win of the season. The boys and girls games were both very close and competitive. 

Finally, Holyoke swimmers had practice on Friday, December 23 and again throughout the upcoming holiday vacation to kick off the new year. Additionally, the team will continue preparing for the January 6th meet against Monson and their second home meet of the season on January 13th.

After all, the Holyoke High School swimmers have displayed great perseverance and can take any challenge thrown at them. Come cheer on our Knights at the Home meet on January 13th, 2023.