Thanks To Our Sponsors!

Holyoke High School’s Community Closet: “Big Thrift Energy”

Holyoke High School has taken a heartwarming initiative to support its students. The “Community Closet” project is a shining example of how a school can go beyond academics to provide students with essential resources, foster a sense of belonging, and encourage inclusivity among its diverse student body.

Holyoke High School’s Community Closet began as a small, grassroots effort to address a pressing issue—many students faced economic challenges, making it difficult for them to access essential clothing items and hygienic needs. Recognizing this, dedicated teachers such as Mrs. Webber and Mrs. Provencher, along with the school community came together to establish a clothing donation program aimed at supporting those in need within the school. 

At the core of the Community Closet mission is to promote a strong sense of belonging and inclusivity among all Holyoke High School students and staff. By simply providing free access to clothing, the school sends a powerful message: every student matters and should feel valued, regardless of their economic circumstances. Donation items needed consist of shirts, pants, winter coats, sweatshirts, athletic wear, shoes, business clothes, undergarments, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, toothbrushes, tampons, pads, razors, shaving cream, and mouthwash. 

Yet, donations are not limited to what is stated above. Drop-off locations are the Main Office in Holyoke High School and the Graphic Stop at the Holyoke Mall.

The impact of the Community Closet extends beyond the tangible donations. It serves as an inspiration to current students, demonstrating the power of empathy, kindness, and community involvement. Students involved in the project gain long-lasting life skills, such as leadership, organization, and teamwork, as they contribute to its overall success.

Holyoke High School’s Community Closet is a heartwarming example of how a small idea can grow into a transformative force for good. This initiative exemplifies the importance of empathy, kindness, and the power of a caring community in making a difference in the lives of young people. Holyoke High School and its Community Closet serve as a shining example for schools and communities nationwide, demonstrating how we can all contribute to a more inclusive and supportive society.