The Lending Library for Little Ones

An initiative by Mr. Dragon and Mrs. Stein is helping link younger readers with high school student mentors.

The+Little+Lending+Library+Lives+in+the+HHS+Library+

The Little Lending Library Lives in the HHS Library

Since last spring Holyoke High School librarian Ms. Stein and Holyoke High School English teacher Mr. Dragon have been running a children’s library within the Holyoke High School library. This children’s library is called “The Lending Library for Little Ones.” The library is an assortment of children’s books that Ms. Stein and Mr. Dragon have collected from throughout the school’s library and donations that they made.

How the lending library works is an older student from the high school can come and pick out a book off of the table in the school library, and take it home to read to a younger student. Ms. Stein says “Our mission for the lending library is for older students to help instill a love for reading in younger students. And to help promote discussion between the younger and older students.”

This program has been in place since the spring of 2015. So far it has not been too popular because of it being the start of a new school year and everyone being busy. However, by the end of last year there were quite a few participants. In fact, some English teachers had previously (and still do) offer extra credit toward student’s grades for their participation in the program.

The process for getting involved is easy! And all you have to do is go to the Holyoke High School library go toward the back to find the table marked “The Lending Library for Little Ones,” pick out a book, sign it out and bring it home. Then once you are done, bring it back and get another!

The Lending Library hopes to get more participation as the school year moves forward and to help students discover a passion for reading.