New Coaching Staff Hopes to Lead HHS Football to Successful Season

Two new men take over the positions of the Holyoke High School football head coaches and hope for another successful year.

The Holyoke High School football team has recently hired a new coaching staff. They will be taking over a team that had 20 graduating seniors last year, so it will not be an easy task to say the least. The two men willing to take on this challenge are former Dean Technical High School football coaches, Joe Dutsar and Vincent Guile.

Dutsar will be the team’s head coach, while Guile will be the offensive coordinator this year.

“I expect the Holyoke High School football team to continue to grow, develop, and work hard every day,” said Coach Dutsar, when asked about his expectations for the team this year.

“I loved coaching with Dutsar, he’s a great guy and he’s really a wizard of the sport,” said Coach Guile. “He knows everything to know about offense, defense, and special teams and he’s made me a better coach every minute of the way.”

The football team at Dean Tech in recent years has been very different in numbers from Holyoke High. Last year, Dean had only about 15 players, while Holyoke High had around 50.

When asked if coaching a larger team was more difficult than coaching a smaller team, Coach Dutsar replied, “Absolutely not. I’ve coached at Holyoke High in years past, and I’ve coached teams with 50 kids and I’ve coached teams with 15, but there’s no difference to me.”

This year both the Dean Tech and Holyoke High football teams are being combined into one. All the coaches seem to be optimistic about this transition. Coach Guile, who also coaches the combined Holyoke High and Dean Tech wrestling team, is especially excited.

“[Coaching both HHS and Dean] is part of the reason why I love coaching wrestling so much,” said Guile. “But as much as I loved coaching at Dean, adding Holyoke High to the team will definitely make it easier. It’s easier for me to teach a larger group, it’s easier for them to learn, and there will be more athletes to work with. I’m in this position every year for wrestling and I really love the connection of the schools.”

Based on Dutsar’s previous success in coaching football, the schools, along with many others have high hopes for this year’s team.