HHS On A WorldQuest

Mr. Frye and a group of Holyoke High students participated in the Academic WorldQuest competition.

On Saturday, April 1 Mr. Frye along with five HHS students traveled to Bridgewater State University to compete in the Academic WorldQuest competition. For those who don’t know, WorldQuest is a competition where students learn about various topics that relate to the entire world. Each team has four students who compete with an alternate.

Holyoke High’s team consisted of Madison Chouinard ‘18, Justin Sanchez ‘17, Will Hunter ‘17, and Pat Morrison ‘18, with Yasir Sabir ‘17 as an alternate. This year they competed with the Boston World Affairs Council as opposed to last year where they only competed with Western Mass.

The topics they had to learn about include Current Events, Great Decisions, the European Union, Turkey, and many more. They studied on these topics prior to the event in preparation.

Placing third overall, HHS competed against multiple other teams including Pope John XXIII High School, who came in second place, and Longmeadow High School, who came in first place.

The winning team received an all expenses paid trip to Washington D.C. to compete in the National WorldQuest event. Unfortunately HHS won’t be represented in D.C. this year, the team is feeling very confident for next year. “For our first time in the Boston competition, it’s pretty incredible for us to place third,” Will Hunter ‘17 said. “I’m very proud of our team. I’m certain the juniors will make it to D.C. next year!”

The team will be losing three members next year, and is looking for new members. If you are an HHS student interested in Political Science, Diplomacy, Humanitarian work, Peace Corps, and other topics of the sort, feel free to see Mr. Frye to get involved!