College Fair at HHS: A Success

On Wednesday, September 24, forty colleges came to HHS to answer questions from prospective students.

Many of the area’s colleges filed into the Holyoke High cafeteria for the 2014 college fair. Photo by Ashley Morsen.

Ana Diaz Moore, Staff Reporter '16

It’s that time of year again; the time when perspective juniors and seniors are looking at colleges and universities and signing up for college tours. On September 24, high school aged students from the Western Mass area visited HHS to talk to representatives from colleges, and get a first hand look at what different schools had to offer.

Over forty schools from different states were in attendance, some as far as Pennsylvania. Student government advisor Mrs. Butler only had positive things to say about the college fair, “We thought it was a positive thing for the high school… it brings many colleges to students who might not have had the opportunity to visit them.”

Students and parents listen intently as college reps explain their schools.

While at the college fair, students got to walk around and visit the booths, each promoting different schools. Representatives were more than willing to talk to students and discuss the different courses and programs offered and sports teams, and clubs that were available. Having multiple colleges in one place at the same time is a huge advantage to students, and gave them the chance to compare the different options for possible schools. There were booklets, packets, and flyers that expressed each schools curriculum, and provided information on dates for open houses in which students could attend if they were interested in looking in closer depth of a school.

Holyoke High's cafeteria filled with college reps.
Holyoke High’s cafeteria filled with college reps.

Overall, the yearly college fair was a complete success, and provided tons of useful information that juniors and especially seniors will need as they get closer to college application deadlines. If you missed the college fair, keep your eyes on the lookout for future ones in our local area, coming up soon!