A Fallen But Never Forgotten Knight

Mr. Ron Young, a late HHS substitute teacher, will be missed by many for his positive influence on the school community and all who new him.

Mr. Ron Young

Mr. Ron Young

It is with great sadness to acknowledge the passing of a former knight and well known substitute teacher of HHS, Mr. Ron Young.

Mr. Ron Young was a lifelong resident of Holyoke. He was an alumn of Holyoke High itself and furthered his education at UMASS Amherst in public health studies. After receiving a masters degree, he pursued a career as the director of public health for the town of agawam. Besides his life long career, Young was greatly involved with sports and officiating football, softball and basketball for high school and college athletics for well over 50 years. Young later returned back to HHS to be a substitute.

Young contributed greatly to the high school, and his community. He was a kind soul who only ever wanted to help others and give to those in need. These characteristics were displayed clearly through his involvement with volunteerism for many school related events and attending anything the students put on from music productions to athletics. Some students looked up to Young, and were impacted by his tremendous support and humble ways.

“He was a man that not even a million words could describe,” said Margarita Velazco ’18. “He was someone who I considered a grandfather and learned to love as so!”

Young was extremely devoted to the music department at the high school. He had given up an expense of his time, effort, and money to support the annual musicals and choirs for an impressive 16 years at the high school. Mr. Mark Todd, director of the music department, speaks fondly about Young and his connection with the department and the students.

“Mr. Ron Young brought so much love and support to all our students and we will deeply miss him. I do feel his presence and know that he will be watching over us with everything we do,” says Todd.

The Herald sends the family of Mr. Ron Young their deepest sympathies and condolences. “Once a Knight always a Knight.” Young will never be forgotten.