Latino Heritage Month

To commemorate Latino students’ contribution to the school community and their culture, Latino Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15 to October 15.

A large portion of the student body at Holyoke High identify as Latino. To commemorate Latino students’ contribution to the school community and their culture, Latino Heritage Month is celebrated from September 15 to October 15. The events set for the month where curated by a collaboration of restorative Justice, Ethnic Studies, and Student Government.

Their hard work includes the front display case as you enter the building, music in the cafeteria during lunch, and an assembly.

The front display case features the resilience and fortitude of the youth and the students of Latin America through their social movements, as well as social movements by latinos in the U.S. The music played in the cafeteria is a mixture of music from all over Latin America. And excitingly, the assembly features student performances ranging from poetry, dance, and music.

Despite the large percentage of Latino students at Holyoke High, at times representation is scarce. Mishie Serrano ‘19, one of the members of the planning committee, said that “As a Puerto Rican woman, this is some of the only representation of my people that I will probably see all year. So being to see all of the Hispanic pride in our school is fantastic.”

It should be noted that in lieu of using the gendered Latino, she opted to use the gender neutral Hispanic to be inclusive of all her Latino peers. Mishie says she finds representation all over the city of Hispanic culture, a favorite place of hers being Nueva Esperanza, and would like to see that in the school. In helping with the planning committee, she hopes that “[Latino students] can see how proud they should be about their culture, because sometimes loving who you are tends to be difficult, especially in a world that tends to be against you.”

Her message rings heavily, especially after the Hurricanes Irma and Maria devastated the Caribbean, affecting many students’ families. In the midst of the crisis, the assembly bringing about images of pride and love to the students during this time of need is much needed.

Students are excited for this display of Hispanic culture. “I’m glad we’re celebrating [Latino Heritage Month]. Proper representation matters for any and all cultures, so to see the school taking pride in the Latino community within it is really heart warming,” said A’knesha Davis ‘18.

Make sure to celebrate Latino Heritage Month, whether it be at school or in the community!