HHS Art Classes Create Christmas Cards For Veterans

The art students of Holyoke High give back by creating artistic and colorful Christmas cards for veterans at The Holyoke Soldier’s Home.

Another holiday season is upon us, people everywhere are decking their homes in lights, frantically shopping at the mall for presents, and decorating their trees. Showing your holiday spirit ranges from enjoying. All the hustle and bustle of the month is exciting, and enjoying the festivities are wonderful, but what better way to relish the season than to share your spirits with deserving folks.

This year, students at Holyoke High School are doing just that. Directed by Mrs. Darlene Henshaw, art teacher who is carrying on the 15 year old tradition of creating handmade Christmas cards for veterans at The Soldier’s Home of Holyoke, Mass.

The project was originally initiated by Paula Marcotte, a former Holyoke High art teacher whose father was a veteran. Mrs. Henshaw carried on Mrs. Marcotte’s tradition, and this year in particular was a great success. “I think I can speak for myself and the students to say that it’s a wonderful feeling to share their artwork outside the walls of Holyoke High and to give to such a deserving group,” shares Henshaw.

Mrs. Henshaw's students work at creating the Christmas cards.
Mrs. Henshaw’s students work at creating the Christmas cards.

Each card, made with love and ranging from use of paint and watercolor, will be delivered to the Soldier’s Home on December 23rd, 2014, the last day of school before HHS students enjoy their two week long vacation. All of Mrs. Henshaw’s 125 students strive to make at least two cards so a total of approximately 250 holiday wishes will be delivered in a box that will be wrapped in foil and tagged with a large gift tag.

Hard working students and dedicated teachers make carrying out this wonderful tradition possible. Their project has even inspired other groups to follow in their footsteps to make Christmas Cards. Along with collecting cans for various foundations, some advisory classes throughout the school spent the first block of the day on Wednesday, December 17th, 2014 as their local community service project.