ABC 40 Brings “Honor Roll Live” to Holyoke High

On a snowy Friday morning on January 9, Brittney Decker and ABC 40 brought their Honor Roll Live series to HHS.

Holyoke students are much more than stereotypes.

On Friday January 9, 2015, Holyoke High School had a special opportunity to display their many amazing extracurricular clubs such as band, bell choir, and many more. ABC 40’s Brittney Decker brought her “Honor Roll Live” segment to the halls of Holyoke High School. “Honor Roll Live” highlights the good things happening in schools around Western Massachusetts, and HHS did not disappoint.

ABC 40's Brittney Decker meets our school mascot.
ABC 40’s Brittney Decker meets our school mascot.

Despite the very early 5 a.m. start time, many HHS students came bright and early in the morning to share our beautiful school, have some yummy refreshments, show their activities and perform their talents. “I think our performance was really good and done perfectly,” said one member of the Bell Choir after their performance of “Somewhere Over The Rainbow.” The band and madrigal choir also performed, demonstrating Holyoke High’s well rounded music program.

Other than performances, Brittney Decker interviewed some of our students and teachers involved in clubs throughout the school. One such interview done was with Math teacher Mr. Bose on his catapult project and some of the students who built the devices for his assignment. The interview went well despite how “dangerous” one of the catapults was. The Drama club was able to promote their upcoming production of To Kill A Mockingbird and the Business Club shared their many contributions to the school and community.

The Herald even got a bit of the spotlight, as our own Editor-in-Chief Ashley Morsen highlighted our transition into the digital age and use of social media, Melanie Kos talked about how much the staff have grown (and gave a shout out to The Herald advisor Mr. Courchesne) and Nick Edwards talked about what a pleasure it is working for the school newspaper and how it has impacted the community.

Brittney Decker didn’t walk away empty handed: she was presented with a Holyoke shirt, Holyoke Knights scarf, and Drama Club t-shirt (not to mention a personal invitation to the upcoming show from Aiden Moriarty) . The students and staff members can all agree it was a pleasure to have such a wonderful morning with ABC 40 and hope to continue to show the community about our school and the goals we accomplish every single day.

On behalf of all of Holyoke High School, The Herald would like to thank Ms. Decker and ABC 40 for taking the time to visit. See below for Herald exclusive photos taken by own our staff photographer Nick Elkins!

Herald Sports Editor Nick Edwards takes his first EVER selfie with the beautiful Brittney Decker. Not a bad way to start, Nick.

The Holyoke High band shows their stuff!

Mr. Bose's catapults - despite their alleged danger - were a big hit!
Mr. Bose’s catapults – despite their alleged danger – were a big hit!
The cheerleaders and Brittney Decker smile for the camera.
Ms. Sweeney and the Drama Club are ready to go on the air live!
The Herald: never a group to shy away from shameless self promotion. Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!
Gimmie an A! Gimmie a B! Gimmie a C!
Gimmie an A! Gimmie a B! Gimmie a C!