What Do Our Teachers Have to Say to Their Adolescent Selves?

What would some of Holyoke High’s teachers say to their younger selves?

It’s hard to imagine our teachers as anything but teachers. But believe it or not, they were all high school students at one time too. Many teachers here at Holyoke High School are also alumni and walked the same halls as us. The Herald asked nine teachers what advice they would give their high school selves knowing what they know now. Here are their responses.

boseMr. Bose went to many schools through his teenage years because of his father’s job as a diplomat in the United Nations. He graduated from Duke Institution in South Africa when he was sixteen years old and wishes for his graduation year to remain unknown. He now teaches various math classes at Holyoke High. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“Have a good attitude towards every human being you meet. Politeness helps everything. Despite your parents’ wishes, pursue your goal of cricket. Your academic success must be balanced with your athletic success. Be funny, a good sense of humor is important. I went to a residential school where most people were very spoiled, what I learned from that is to avoid narcissistic behavior.”

courchesneMr. Courchesne
graduated from Holyoke High School in 2003. Years ago he was a Herald staff member, and now he is the advisor himself. In addition to advising the school newspaper he also teaches several English classes. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“The more seriously you take school now the easier your life will be later. That ‘summer job’ at The Log Cabin is going to last eleven years longer than you expect. Also, please stop annoying your Herald advisor – karma is going to make you pay for that someday.”

shaylynMs. Fitzell-Stevens
also graduated from Holyoke High School in 2003. She’s now taught English here at Holyoke High for several years. This is what she had to say to her high school self:

“Don’t feel so stressed out about not being sure about what you want to do with the rest of your life because the truth is no one really knows until they get older. Take advantage of opportunities that come your way because even if it seems scary, it will be something you’re glad you did in the long run.”

steveMr. Sullivan
graduated from Holyoke High School in 1999. Mr. Sullivan was a teacher at Dean before coming to Holyoke High to be the vice principal, and now he’s currently the acting principal. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“Don’t worry about what others think about you, or want for you. Rely on family and friends for support, but in the end, it is up to you to create success and happiness in your life. Play sports and music, read books, write poems, tell stories, dance, meet new people, forgive and forget, laugh and cry, travel the world and discover yourself.”

ostroffMr. Ostroff
graduated from Saugus High School in 1998. He has now been a math teacher here for several years. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“There are going to be times when your back is against the wall. You’re going to be in a jam and you are not going to see any way out of it– the end of the road.  And then one morning, you will wake up and think back to that time and wonder how you ever managed to get to here and now. And you’ll laugh so hard, you won’t be able to catch your breath.”

loriMrs. Vaillancourt
graduated from Rockville High School in Vernon, CT in 1993. She was formerly an English teacher here at Holyoke High School, but she is now a vice principal. This is what she had to say to her high school self:

1. Don’t be so negative about your body. You look amazing in that jean skirt, prom dress and cheer uniform, you should really believe it. The models in Teen Magazine are not an accurate representation of teenage girls. However, your bangs could use some taming.

2. Dean Violette may be very hot, own his own car, cut class, and be wicked popular, but his coolness stops the day you graduate.

3. Your mom is always right and you will be thankful you didn’t get that butterfly tattoo like Drew Barrymore.

4. Your mom is not joking or being mean, your kids will be just like you and someday you will get why she asks so many questions and says ‘No’.

5. You will be a high school English teacher and eventually an Assistant Principal. Yes, really!

6. It gets better.

meyerMr. Meyer is another Holyoke High School alumni and now teacher of history here at our school. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“I seriously would tell myself to enjoy your adolescence (as you did) but to focus a bit more on your studies as they really do matter later in life. I really do believe you can have your cake AND eat it too if you’re smart enough…”

roMr. Roche graduated from Holyoke Catholic High School and has now been a history and social studies teacher for several years. This is what he had to say to his high school self:

“Thinking back to high school, it goes by so fast. We all change so much in those four years, both academically and socially. When we are 15, 16, 17 years old we don’t see all the opportunities and advice we are being given and sometimes we just let those chances skip by without reaching out and taking a chance. So if you want something or you want to be someone years from now get involved, ask the many questions you have, enjoy all the different aspects of high school (Sports, Clubs, Classes, Dances, and other events) because if you don’t you will look back 5 years, 15, years, or when you are really really old and say “I wish I did…” You only get one shot at high school so why not go big or go home!”

checaMs. Checa became a new teacher at Holyoke High School a few years ago and has now been a math teacher ever since. This is what she had to say to her high school self:

“Read more books, continue asking questions, continue being curious, continue challenging everything, and most of all, know that you have the power to change things. Things CAN change – but you need to try!”