• There will be a STEM info session/open house on Feb.11 from 4-5pm at Holyoke High South Campus!

• Goodluck to all HHS students on their midterms next week!

• Come join environmental club, Mondays Rm.302 after school!

• The Robotics Club is seeking new members! See Mr.Belanger for more information!

Going Under The Sea With The HHS Stage Crew

With another classic Holyoke High musical on the way, we take a look at the students working behind the scenes to put on the show.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Holyoke High School has always been well known for producing high quality musicals. These productions, however, would not be possible without the hard work and dedication of the many students who work behind the scenes to bring the musicals to life. From backstage responsibilities including scenery and make-up, these students play many key roles in bringing Broadway to Holyoke.

The Holyoke High School stage crew has many responsibilities that are crucial toward the success of the musical. They are responsible for all of the prop movements, they help run the lighting, draw the curtains, assist in building the set, help with costumes, and many of the students also help with makeup. The stage crew is the backbone of the musicals.

“It’s creative chaos for sure, but it’s an equal balance of fun and work,” said Stage Crew Manager and Set Director Jordan Dudas ‘20. “It’s always a good time meeting new people and assisting to an amazing production.”

The crew works on building the sets for the musicals on Saturdays, and they dedicate their time everyday after school during the days approaching the musical. They also spend their February vacation preparing for the production.

“While doing stage crew can be a lot of work, it’s always tons of fun too,” said Amber Brueshaber ‘19, an Assistant Stage Manager. “Although there’s still a lot to do before the production, I’m confident that we’ll finish it all and this will be a terrific show.”

The scenery and sets for the annual productions never disappoint. From giant mesmerizing Oz heads to Shrek castles and beautiful backdrops, the art and architecture for the musicals always leaves everyone in awe, and this year is no exception. The audience can look forward to truly immersing themselves under the sea in this year’s production of The Little Mermaid. Set highlights will feature a giant clam shell, marine rocks and vegetation, and an enormous ship.

“It has been a lot of fun painting and doing paper mache for the musical,” Meagan Breen ‘19 and Helena Middleton ‘19 told The Herald. “We get to be creative and be apart of the behind the scenes action.”

Come support the crew and all of the amazing actors in their production of The Little Mermaid this March 22nd, 23rd, and 24th at 7:30 pm and Sunday the 25th at 2:00 pm at Holyoke High School.

“We’re really looking forward to the musical and hope everyone enjoys it,” says Breen.

To The Little Mermaid cast and crew, break a leg from The Herald!