Holyoke High Holds 25th Annual Thanksgiving Fall Feast

On Tuesday, November 20, 2018, the 25th annual RISE, SHINE, ACE lunch was held at Holyoke High School in celebration of Thanksgiving. Students, parents, support groups, teachers, and staff were invited to gather and share a fall feast prepared by Holyoke High’s very own special education students.

Teachers and staff from Holyoke High served the students and their families turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rice, and punch, among many other Thanksgiving favorites. Pie and a variety of cupcakes, provided by special education teacher, Mrs. Long, were also served at the fall lunch.

“This is a nice tradition that we do at our school every year that includes students from special education classes, functional classes, and the transitional program. It’s really nice that we can all come together to celebrate Thanksgiving, and the food’s really good!,” said member of the transitional program, Jose Lopez ’18.

The event had a very successful turnout with many students, parents, and staff members in attendance. There was a very familial environment, as the parents and students alike took advantage of the chance to interact with their friends and share stories as they enjoyed their feast.

“I think it’s really nice to have seen the event grow over the years and it’s a really wonderful experience! It’s great to celebrate with family and friends!” special education teacher: Ann Moriarty, reported about the gathering.

This event was a great success and the special education department is excited for their many upcoming events, especially for the Special Education Skating Program which will start up again in a few weeks!