Duke Dukes Out 5th NCAA Title

Duke wins it all this year’s March Madness. Chris Perez reports on the final championship game.

Duke celebrating their championship win. Credit to www.ibtimes.com

On April 6, 2015, the Duke Blue Devils won the NCAA National Championship in a thriller vs. Wisconsin in a 68-63 win.

With Jahlil Okafor in foul trouble for most of the game, he finished with only 10 points and 3 rebounds, but yet you can tell at some moments his presence was still felt even when he was on the hardwood.

Later in the second half, the Blue Devils trailed by as much as 9 to Wisconsin. With less than 15 minutes to go, Wisconsin had all the momentum, but a second half comeback came from freshmen backcourt Tyus Jones, who was awarded most outstanding player, and led all scorers with 23 points and 19 points coming in the second half.

Grayson Allen with a nice layup on “Frank the Tank”. Credit to sports.yahoo.com

Grayson Allen, who had 16 points, only had 18 points in Duke’s previous 6 games total also only averages 4 PPG this season. Duke had 60 combined points from their freshmen; that’s most by any team in the National Championship. “It shows a lot about their confidence,” said Quinn Cook, Duke’s only senior starter. The Blue Devils outscored Wisconsin by 14 points in the last 13 minutes of the game to grind out the win for their fifth National Championship.

Okafor, in foul trouble most of the game, and out played by Frank Kaminsky most of the game, came through when the pressure was at its highest. He is also projected to go number one in this year’s NBA draft, unless he decides to stay. The freshmen out of Chicago made two big time baskets over Kaminsky. Meanwhile, Jones made back to back 3 point shots along with some timely shots from the freshmen out of Jacksonville, FL, Grayson Allen. What went from a 9 point Wisconsin lead to an 8 point Duke Blue Devils lead with 1:22 left in the game.

The last time the Final Four was in Indianapolis was in 2010 where they played a tough Butler team in another scintillating final. The Blue Devils also took one here in 1991 “The Grant Hill, Christian Laettner squad.” “It was heaven,” Coach Mike Krzyzewski said of the stadium where he’s now 4-0 in Final Fours. “It was really divine,” he told ESPN. Coach K, who recently this season got his 1000th win as a college coach, now has his 5th national title. He is second all-time in that category only behind John Wooden. He did it with a collection of All-American Players, many which who didn’t really stay around a long time.

The freshmen out of Jacksonville, FL, Grayson Allen will make his return to Duke come next season. He was the most overlooked player off the bench for Duke as Okafor was in foul trouble. Allen was the All-American Slam Dunk Contest winner last year, he scored 16 big points in what probably had to be the biggest game of his basketball life. It is 12 more points than his average, including 8 points once Wisconsin had gone up nine points. “It was fun to watch my teammates do what they do,” Okafor said. “They have my back the entire season, and it was no different tonight,” Okafor told reporters.

Duke stood calm and collected once down by as much as nine points which was the largest deficit Duke has faced all tournament. After Kaminsky made a layup with 13:23 left, Wisconsin lead 48-39 lead. Then suddenly duke looked like a team full of veterans and Wisconsin looked like kids. The Blue Devils took the lead for good with 4:08 left when Jones made a 3, the next Duke possession Kaminsky tried to wrap an arm around Okafor in the paint, but Okafor used his big body and strength to make the shot and was also fouled but missed the free throw. “He got in some foul trouble, but because of his positive attitude, he made some big plays down the stretch,” Jones said to reporters. Even though Kaminsky outplayed Okafor it still wasn’t enough to stop an aggressive Duke defense that only allowed 55 points a game in the five contests leading to the final. It was a historic Duke run that ended with yet another Blue Devils National Championship. Congratulations to Duke!

Duke celebrating their championship win Credit to www.ibtimes.com