Improv Asylum Brings Laughs For Good Cause

Boston-based comedy group skewers Holyoke Public Schools in hilarious fund raising event.

On Saturday, February 27, the group “Friends of the Holyoke Public Schools” hosted the fourth annual improv fundraiser night at the Log Cabin Banquet and Meeting House in support of the Holyoke Public Schools. HPS teachers, students, community leaders, school administrators, politicians, and the HPS Receiver all made an appearance and enjoyed a good laugh and great food.

The goal of the Friends of Holyoke Public Schools is to raise money to support the arts, music, drama, literacy, and innovation in the various schools located in Holyoke and to inspire creativity and innovation for the students without focusing solely on high stakes testing. Members include Holyoke community members from all walks of life.

This is the fourth year Friends of Holyoke Public Schools have been able to book the Improv Asylum, an improv comedy group based out of Boston.

“This is the last year we will coming here,” joked Asylum member and UMass graduate Chris Carpenter to open the show. “It turns out there aren’t any more problems with the education system. We did it! We fixed it!”

Dr. Zrike on the hot seat.
Dr. Zrike in the hot seat.

In addition to improv suggestions from the audience, HPS Receiver Dr. Steve Zrike because a target of the comedian’s jokes. Dr. Zrike was invited up to the stage and was asked questions about both his personal life and work life that they turned into a funny skit. Dr. Zrike was a good sport about being the target of some jokes, and the crowd seemed to enjoy his part of the performance very much. Dr. Zrike is a big supporter of the Friends of Holyoke Public Schools and all the things they do for the schools, and he feels “grateful for these resources to continue to offer these high quality [arts] programs that must be a foundational aspect of the student experience in Holyoke.”

“I also enjoyed being part of the show,” adds Zrike, “even though the jokes were at my expense!”

In the past, the Friends of Holyoke Public Schools have used the funds raised from these events toward various HPS programs:

-The Summer Strings programs, which are free to all students enrolled in a Holyoke Public School. This program teaches kids how to play the cello and violin.

-Early literacy grants, which were given to schools McMahon and EN White.

-The sponsoring annual HHS musical – last year’s “Wizard of Oz. ” They will also sponsor this coming year’s “Shrek” musical event.

-Working with the Enchanted Circle Theater (a community partner of Holyoke Public Schools) in bringing the storm drain art project, which made artwork out of storm drains around the city of Holyoke, while also teaching 8th grade students about conservation and green thinking.

With any luck, the Improv Asylum will return to The Log Cabin next year for another hilarious night to benefit the Holyoke Public Schools.

Check out our exclusive photos from the event below, taken by staff photographer Julia Swinehart.

dsc_0434 dsc_0436 dsc_0430 dsc_0416 dsc_0414 dsc_0427 dsc_0426 dsc_0420 dsc_0446 dsc_0477 dsc_0549 dsc_0556