Advantages of Edline

Why don’t more teachers and students take advantage of the benefits of Edline?

Edline is a website that the Holyoke School District and many other educational districts throughout the country use. The site allows teachers to post grades, and then automatically averages those grades. Students can see their current grade in a class as it would appear on a report card, as well as all the grades making up that average. Students know if they need to study and pick up their grade or if they are right on their goal. Teachers can also provide links to other sites and documents that can aid students in their academic endeavors. Some teachers even post homework assignments and projects online, leaving it up to the high school student to take initiative in their own education.

Before Edline, it was even more difficult for students to manage their educational and social lives. If students wanted to know their grades, they would often have to ask teachers for it, otherwise they could face quite the surprise once report cards came in. Prior to Edline, it was also difficult for teachers to manage grades. History teacher Edmund Meyer recalls, “Pre-Edline, teachers had to handwrite every single grade they gave in a class workbook. It was harder to average out grades, as teachers had to do all the math themselves, and it was harder to keep track of work that hadn’t been done. We teachers can also post work or project information online if a student wants more material. Edline is idiot-proof. The site is a great tool that makes the learning experience easier on everybody.”

Sophomore Summer Kaeppel remarks, “Why isn’t Edline being used more? Keeping up with your grades is a lot easier when teachers use the site. I wish that more teachers did.” Emma Price, also a sophomore, echoes this statement, saying “I think Edline is a very effective resource that more teachers should put to use.” Math teacher Robert Armstrong says, “I love Edline, but I do hand out practice sheets because not all students have Edline account, or access to a computer at home.”

If students do not have access to a computer, the school library is open from 8 a.m. until 3 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and until 4 p.m. on Thursday and Tuesday. Room 118A is open Monday through Thursday until 5 p.m. for computer use and until 4 p.m. on Friday. Students can easily find out their Edline login information from their homeroom teacher or guidance counselor.

With Edline, it is now easier for teachers and students to keep track of their grades and projects and balance their already busy lives.