New School Years Brings Fixed Schedule and Extra Minute Between Classes

As Holyoke High students returned to school in the fall, they were shocked to find new changes to their schedules.

As of the 2016-2017 school year, rotating blocks have come to an end and this the schedule is non-rotating. This change is giving students the opportunity to take classes at Dean Technical High School and explore dual enrollment options with local colleges. By changing the schedules, it has also allowed ninth graders to be exposed to new opportunities at Dean. In addition to the schedules, students were also given an additional minute to get to class on time, bringing the total time between bells to four minutes.

“We realized we would need to make some changes in order for students to have the opportunity to explore career options at Dean Technical High School,”  said Principal Sullivan. “Also, the extra minute should allow students to get to class on time from no matter where they are in the building.”

This year, students start with A block and end with G block everyday.  Although A block is technically homeroom, there is no “official” homeroom period, which has freed up the extra minute of passing time between classes. The hope is students will be getting to class on time and be able to have more learning time.

This new change has been met with a mixed reaction from the student body.

“I don’t like it,” says Liza Keane ’19 . “I really dislike having the same classes at the same time everyday; however, the extra minute  [between classes] and our lunch is great.”

Despite some objections, the hope is this schedule has solved some issues from last year and will allow students to explore and try new career options.