HHS Senior Runs Used Sports Equipment Drive

Senior Marie Brazeau is collecting used sports equipment donations at all lunches to help those in need.

On September 7th, one of Holyoke High School’s very own students, senior Marie Brazeau, started a fundraiser in hopes of receiving many donations of lightly used sports equipment to give to those in need. She started this fundraiser because a scholarship she is applying to requires this fundraiser and because Brazeau wants to give local children and teens the opportunity to become engaged in sports and get exercise. She is still accepting donations.

Brazeau is applying for the scholarship known as “Do Something” which is sponsored by ESPN. This scholarship requires that those who wish to apply raise donations of gently-used sports equipment and donate them to a local rec center. Brazeau has not yet determined where she is going to give the donations, but is leaning towards the Boys and Girls Club in Holyoke.

“I love do-something scholarships because they aren’t just essays,” said Brazeau ’18. “They give me a chance to give back to my community and leave a positive impact.”

Studies show that kids from underprivileged  communities are 50% less likely to participate in a sport. One of the main reasons is because sports equipment is too expensive. The goal of this scholarship and fundraiser is to give kids the opportunity to play sports who may not have previously been able to, due to financial reasons. Its wish is to reduce children’s (and their family’s) stress about the cost of equipment and allow them to focus more on the game.

Many students throughout Holyoke High School see this fundraiser in a positive light, including Perryne Vega ’18 who said, “I love that Marie is trying to provide sports equipment to the less fortunate. It really represents the type of community HHS is. Personally, as an athlete, getting new stuff is dope and it’s even better if it’s free!” Many other HHS students agree with Vega’s thoughts.

While Brazeau has already received a few donations, she hopes to get some more. Brazeau will be continuing to collect donations for the remainder of this week and into the beginning of next week, as the deadline for the scholarship is not until September 30. There is a box located inside of the cafeteria for anyone who wishes to donate and help out Marie and our local community!