Holyoke High To Go Under The Sea

HHS prepares for their 19th annual musical production in the spring. 

Students read over lines for an upcoming musical

Students read over lines for an upcoming musical.

Directed by Holyoke High School music teacher Mr. Mark Todd, The Little Mermaid is based on the popular 1989 Disney animation film. To accommodate a large cast, he chose the Disney fan-favorite because of its great story line. Holyoke High has not done a Disney musical since Beauty and the Beast almost 10 years ago.

The play will be an overall challenge, not only for the actors and actresses, but also for the special effects team. The stage will be transformed and will make the audience feel like they are under the sea.

“I’m looking forward most to watching the students take this challenge and see what they can do with it,” said Mr. Todd, “the students will love the show because they grew up with the characters. It’s nice bringing the characters to life.”

The show will be very expensive and the cast and crew and will have to work hard from December to March. Students are already starting to listen and learn music to soon audition in hopes of getting the part they desire. Additions take about two weeks and everyone puts their heart and soul into each performance.

The students are looking forward to the musical and are excited to partake in the production of popular shows. This will be the schools 19th musical, which continues to bring in more and more support each year.

“I’m excited to try out different aspects that we have never tried before such as rollerblading and the colorful costumes,” says actress and singer, Anya Torres’ 19

The show will be coming up quickly, so make sure to keep up with The Herald to see the dates of the play. The play takes a lot of time from the student’s lives and they can’t wait for  show time to display their hard work.