RISE, SHINE, ACE 2017

Students enjoyed a Thanksgiving meal at the annual RISE Thanksgiving feast on November 2nd.

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 the 24th annual RISE, SHINE, ACE Fall Feast was held at Holyoke High School. This event brought RISE students, HHS students, parents, and members of the Holyoke community together to interact and enjoy a fall feast prior to the holiday season. It also allowed students and their families to gain access and knowledge about local organizations geared towards helping individuals of multiple ability sets be successful and productive in school, in their careers, or in other aspects.

This was the first year that the school invited local organizations to attend and speak to students and families. Many influential community members attended the lunch, such as State Representative Aaron Vega, and many organizations were present to be resources for families. Students were informed about internship opportunities, vocational training, and social outing opportunities. Also, members of the new Best Buddies program were present to inform families about this new club at HHS and attempt to recruit more students.

“I felt that this lunch was a great way to bring families together,” said Meagan Breen ’19, a member of the Best Buddies program.  “It was awesome to see so many members of the community together in one place and great that so many organizations attended. The food was also delicious!”

The event had a very successful turnout with many families, students, and members of local organizations and community resources present. Teachers, guidance counselors, students, and parents helped prepare and serve the meal showing the sense of community that came along with the running of this event.

“We were very happy with the turn out,” said Leah Destromp, a special education teacher at HHS and volunteer at the event.  “We look forward to our next event to promote family engagement at the community level.”

This event was a great success and the special education department is optimistic and excited to host many more future events to create a sense of community and show their Holyoke Pride!