Former Herald Editor-In-Chief Raising Money For Baystate’s Children Hospital

UMass student Ashley Morsen is looking to give back to a worthy cause.

Former Holyoke High School student, former Herald Editor-in-Chief, and current UMASS Amherst student Ashley Morsen is hoping to raise funds for Springfield’s Baystate Children’s Hospital through UMASS Amherst’s Steering Committee’s FTK (“For The Kids”) organization. On Saturday, April 8, Morsen is helping host a “Dance Marathon” fundraiser.

This is a cause near to Ashley’s heart. As a child, she had to stay at Baystate’s Children’s Hospital for two months. She remembers a particular meaningful section of the hospital called “Ashley’s Closet.” 

“Ashley’s Closet was entirely renovated with new furniture, fixtures, and lighting making for an extremely inviting and happy space,” said Morsen. “Having a safe space for children to escape their harsh realities is something I believe is extremely important, but unfortunately, these renovations were not on the highest priority list and therefore had gotten pushed off for years.”

Morsen and the rest of the FTK steering committee plan to change that.  Because Baystate’s creation of fun spaces such as this as well as new equipment to help make medical procedures easier and less painful are entirely donor funded, they are stepping up to the plate to help the children of Western Mass. The money raised this year is planned to be be used for the creation of a brand new procedural unit which will increase hospital capacity, giving more children the help and care that they need.

“This project was entirely funded by donor dollars raised through Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals and would not have made possible so soon without the resources that the UMass Dance Marathon was able to provide,” explained Morsen. “We’re working so hard to change lives and help make hospital visits for children at Baystate just a little easier and we really need your help and support in making this possible!”

Morsen has set a personal goal of $1,000 raised for this worthy cause, and you can step up to help this former Herald staffer by clicking here and giving – no amount is too small!